Henry Krumb School of Mines

History of the School of Mines

The School of Mines of Columbia University was the first mining and metallurgy school in the U.S. (1864). It became the foundation of Columbia's School of Engineering and Applied Science and later the home of the Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Mineral Engineering. However, the title "School of Mines" was retained by Columbia University honoris causa. You can see the bronze statue of The Metallurgist (Le Marteleur) in front of Columbia’s Mudd Hall that was named after an alumnus of the School of Mines.

One century after its formation, the School of Mines was renamed the Henry Krumb School of Mines in honor of the generous alumnus of the School of Mines and his wife, Ms. Lavon Duddleson Krumb. HKSM has been a leader in mining and metallurgy research and education, including the first mining handbook by Prof. Peele, the first mineral processing handbook by Prof. Taggart, and other pioneering work in mineral beneficiation, chemical thermodynamics, kinetics, transport phenomena in mineral extraction and processing, ecological and environmentally responsible mining, and pursuit of state-of-the-art research advancing responsible use of our earth resources. The Henry Krumb School of Mines located in the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science offers students interested in mining and metallurgy the opportunity to focus their studies in these fields within the department of Earth and Environmental Engineering.

In 1986, HKSM was designated by Governor Cuomo as the Mining and Mineral Resources Research Institute of the State of New York. 

500 W. 120th St., Mudd 510, New York, NY 10027    212-854-2993